Saturday, January 9, 2010

Finding Peace and Equanimity in Challenging Moments

My focus today has been to quiet my mind in moments of struggle and to find a sense of calm in challenging moments.

1) During my weight-lifting session this afternoon I was definitely challenged. Mostly in the last 5 min. when I finished my gym workout with my usual core routine. (It's a 5 min. session of holding bridge where you alternate sides every 30 sec. without ever coming out of the posture.) It was so challenging but in that moment I was breathing calmly and reminding myself of this focus until the last second passed and the challenge had ended.

2) During my six mile run this afternoon I kept this focus at the fore-front of my mind thinking about how I could release tension and just relax and enjoy the run...constantly reminding myself to "let go" in that moment and to breathe through the challenge.

3) Finally, as I released the strain from my various workouts today in a wonderful and relaxing yoga session; I focused once again on finding equanimity and calm in that moment. It all comes full circle here - through yoga.

The reason for my focus today is to hopefully carry this thought with me throughout the week. When I am feeling stressed at work, or challenged by any number of things; I will try to bring my thoughts back to the moment of "letting go" and the feeling of peace within the challenge.


For those working on adding those healthy additions to your diet, I include here a wonderful hummus recipe that is fantastic with raw vegetables or healthy crackers for a snack!!

Sun-Dried Tomato Hummus
  • 1 15 ounce can chickpeas, drained (or I just cook about a cup dried beans)
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes
  • Juice of lemon (or about 2 Tbsp lemon juice)
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 2 tbsp tahini (If you have trouble finding tahini, just substitute water. I just love tahini.)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
Add all ingredients to your food processor and voila! (You may need to add a little water depending on your preference for consistency.) I have been taking this to work with a few organic rice cakes and some lentil soup for lunch! =) Yum....

Focus your mind on the present moment and finding equanimity even in the most challenging situations. ~ Namaste

No comments: