Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Fabulous Lentil Quiche

So, I promise that all of my blogs aren't going to be food related in 2010, but I have seriously been coming across some amazing recipes that I have to share! This one is a really neat twist on your traditional quiche. (The thing I love about it is there is no pastry!!)

I made this when I got home from work tonight and it was fabulous!! Travis' first comment was, "There's a lot of green in here!" but he asked for a second piece and seemed to really like it......Because it takes over an hour to make, I served a pumpkin dahl for an appetizer. (I had made that a while back and froze it. I chopped up some chicken in Travis' for him and he was content to wait for the quiche to finish.)

Lentil Quiche
Ingredients:
  • 1 chopped onion
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 2 cups chopped broccoli (roughly about one big bunch)
  • 1 chopped tomato (next time I might try sun-dried tomatoes so you could substitute that.)
  • 1/2 cup dried lentils
  • 4 eggs beaten
  • 1 cup milk
  • dash nutmeg
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • chopped fresh herbs - parsley, basil, coriander
  • dash of dried oregano
  • dash of dried sage
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheese - Parmesan and mozzarella (just what I had)

Directions:
Pre-heat oven to 350F or 190C. Stir-fry the onion in oil until softened and set aside in a bowl. Using the same pan add lentils and cover with water. Bring to a boil - about 15 min. or until just tender, but not fully cooked - Drain access water off until just a small amount is remaining. Return to stove and add broccoli on top. Put a lid on the pan and let the broccoli steam while the lentils soak up the remaining liquid - about 5 min. Stir all vege together with cheese and pour into a greased deep dish pie plate (maybe two?) or a small casserole dish. Whisk together eggs, milk, all spices and herbs. Pour over vegetables. Bake for 40-45 min. or until set. Let cool for 5 min. before serving.

Healthy choices, mean healthier futures ~ Namaste

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love quiche and I haven't made one in forever! Thank you for the recipe!

Mnowac said...

Sweet! I have some lentils in my pantry that have been staring at me! I might just try this!

*Win a yoga mat bag right now @ monicaonthego.com*

Teniah Ashlyn said...

Glad to share it!...Let me know how yours turns out! So excited to follow your blog, Monica, and I will add it to my site as well! =)