Friday, October 16, 2009

Healthy Enchiladas

So, last night I made these amazing enchiladas for dinner and it turned out so well that I thought I would share the recipe since it's such a healthy version.....WARNING - it's very spicy. If you want to cut down the heat I highly recommend starting off with just 1Tbsp chilli powder and then adjust it accordingly. Of course, Travis loved it spicy.....Plus, there was enough sauce to freeze and use next time!!


Sauce:
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp Flour (I used wholemeal flour)
2 Tbsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1 Cup tomato sauce
2 Cups water
1/4 tsp garlic powder - or minced garlic

Heat oil, stir in flour and chili powder. Cook 1 min. Add remaining ingredients and boil for 10 min. Pour 1/4 of sauce in bottom of pan.


Inside:
1 lb beef (I only used half and froze the other half)
1 small onion
6 whole wheat tortillas
2 cups shredded cheese (You actually need less than one)
1 can sliced olives
1/2 red pepper
1 can black beans
spinach
oregano
1 chopped tomato

Brown the beef with some ground oregano and then set aside. Mix the black beans with oregano, chopped tomato, red pepper and onion as a mixture. Set aside. Coat the tortillas in the remaining sauce and fill with either beef or bean mixture and cheese. (for mine I did just the black bean mixture with spinach....for the guys I did the meat mixture and then also added some of the bean mixture to theirs.) Cover with remaining sauce and olives and cheese. (I didn't use very much cheese, just enough to decorate.)


Preheat oven to 175c and cook until bubbly. Serve with brown rice on the side and some freshly chopped parsley or cilantro.


Anyway, this was a wonderful meal and just thought it would be worth sharing since it's so good for you!! Enjoy!

No comments: