Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Happiness is in THIS moment

One of the most valuable things that I have learned in life is that the present moment is all we have. We cannot live in the past, and we have no idea how much of the future we will even experience. It is only in the here and now that we can truly be present and find happiness. It is only in THIS moment where we can influence how we respond to circumstances and change the way that we react.

This understanding has become so foundational in my life, and as a result, I have really been enjoying the time that I have been given. After finishing off my degree and awaiting the start of my new job, I have had more time on my hands to really embrace the things that bring me joy. As part of that, I have also realised how much time I waisted each day not taking advantage of the things that bring me peace and happiness.

This realisation has caused me to have a new perspective on my life and make some changes towards adapting my daily routines to include plenty of time to just be present and enjoy the life that I have. I have increased my daily yoga practice which has brought me so much physical and emotional release. Every day I also do something that I love; wheather it be painting, quilting, reading a book, talking to a friend on the phone, or just spending time with Travis. It's about ensuring that every day is filled with some form of joy and pleasure and taking the time to embrace the beauty that is there.

Once I had a close look at my life I also realised that I need to focus more attention outward and become more invovled in the community and giving to others. I found while I was studying that between study and work my life became quite a bit self-centred (more due to the circumstances than a selfish nature). Now that I have been freed from my relentless hours of study, my life can now focus a lot more on doing for others and getting involved. This is definitely one of the most positive changes that I plan to see in 2013.

As for my running, and taking the time to really physically become more active: well, that has been a fabulous achievement. I am now back to where I was about a year ago and gradually starting to see that strength come back with every day. I will start a new training programme in January and see where it leads me. For now, I am truly pleased with the progress.

Mantra: "Let go of all that no longer serves you and embrace the happiness that is offered to you in this present moment" ~ Namaste


No comments: