Monday, June 4, 2012

Finding Relaxation

I have had a bit more time lately to indulge in one of my most favourite hobbies - Art. I find painting so therapeutic and relaxing. These past few months have been quite busy between school, clinical placements and home life. So, I find that taking a few hours out every now and then is really good to help stay grounded and keep from getting too stressed out.

This painting of a seascape around the Honeycomb Rock area is one of my most recent paintings.

I find that painting at this particular time in my life is much needed as I have had some pretty intense clinical placements this semester. I am currently finishing a three week placement with the mental health crisis team. That placement has been one of my favourites so far. We are nearing the end of our first semester of this final year of nursing, so it is getting pretty exciting.

I was honoured this semester with being a recipient of the Freemason's scholarship which has helped support me through this year of school. It was such a humbling experience recieving this and feel so priviledged to have earned this award. It has also allowed me the opportunity to spend some extra time volunteering and getting more involved in my community - which I really appreciate.

As for my healthy living, well, I have really changed some things in my diet and have been cooking some new foods to incorporate more beans and different grains into my diet. I am still running, but have been out sick for two weeks so it might be hard to get back into it. I am hoping it won't be too bad. I am still swimming and enjoying that time with my swim buddy, Linda. It is awesome having a workout partner to encourage you and to just be there with you when you are working out - just makes it more of a social time rather than a struggle.

I have found that eating healthy and exercising, while challenging when on placements, is really worth the effort!! I feel a lot less stressed and more energised to give of myself to others. That's what it's all about anyway, ae?!

Mantra: "Allow yourself to be renewed in this present moment so that you can be a support and shinning light to those around you." ~ Namaste

No comments: