Saturday, September 11, 2021

What if we are too noisy to hear the breeze?

I always find with hiking/tramping there is a perfect scene set for contemplating life, and uncovering such rich truths. 

The truth I uncovered today was simple: We are too noisy in our lives to hear the breeze... The chatter of this world is too intense for us to hear the tiny trickle of the small flow of water falling over a rock.....Until we settle into silence; we miss it all. 

I went hiking this morning and when I arrived to the car park the place was booming. There were excited hikers all over the place and everyone was happy to see the sun shining and to get out on their mountain bikes or hit the high trails. There was one particular group of folks that started this whole contemplative thought process in my mind.....They were SOOOO noisy!! They were yelling to each other so loudly and obnoxiously and they had music blaring. This is how they were planning to hike the beautiful, peaceful mountain. 

Obviously I avoided being around them at all cost....so I took a totally different route and added 1.5 hours to my own hike just to put distance between us....

I say this not to imply that I am in any way better than those folks. (I am sure they had fun with whatever their intention was for the day)...But I had come out to nature to rejuvenate and to commune with nature. To be at peace. 

This is the question that really stood out for me....Is it possible to hear the breeze if we are so distracted by our lives, by our business, by our chaos and noise? Can we truly appreciate the tiny leaves dancing on the tree limb or really hear the sound of the bird? Or do we even take time to step outside to bare witness to those things? 

What do you need to re-adjust in your life so that you can hear the breeze? 

What changes do you need to make in order that you can sit for a few moments and tune into the changing seasons and the beauty surrounding you? 

If you are already there, siting in the quiet bliss of this present moment, then that is so wonderful - offer up gratitude that you have found your solitude..... But if you are like the rest of us and just need a little prompting.....that's okay too! 

"Wherever you are today - be at peace, and appreciate the simple things" ~ Namaste

No comments: