Saturday, September 9, 2017

Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga

As I return to this blog after two years of absense, I am acutely aware of how much has changed in my life. I am also so very grateful for every moment and every lesson that I have learned along the way. About a year ago now I began an intense personal journey of self-discovery. I took a break from work and life commitments and began really soul-searching myself and beginning to develop the person who I really wanted to become. During this time I began a daily yoga practice and began to embrace new aspects of meditation, the use of essential oils, and use of a regular massage therapist. I also worked hard to establish a healthy diet and maintain a regular exercise routine. During this time my life has truly been transformed. I cannot atribute this change to any one particular thing, as I believe it is really a combination of healthy lifestyle choices. However, I wanted to share today one of the major contributing factors in my yoga practice that has made such a tremendous difference for me.

I read many books during my journey and there were so many beautiful messages that really hit home for me. The book that has really made the most impact for me though, was Deepak Chopra's book "The Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga". I began last October doing a quick little daily journal using this system of spiritual laws, and each day I would focus on the law of the day, create a mantra to focus my mind on when my mind became stressed or unfocused, and I also linked this law with the chakras they are associated with and meditated on these and then brought all of this together during my daily yoga practice. I also have linked in specific bible verses to each of these as well. This integration of various systems has brought me so much joy and understanding of how it works together, and has truly become a lifestyle for me. I thought I would very briefly share these laws with you now.

*Please note that this is my own personal take on Deepak's message, so I do highly recommend you read the book.


Sunday - Law of Pure Potentiality, related to the crown chakra, "Live in the Present Moment" Proverbs 19:14, Ephesians 2:10 and Psalm 84:11-12. - We are created to bring glory to God.

Monday - Law of Giving and Receiving, related to the heart chakra, "Love is Divine Power" Proverbs 31:20, James1:27 - Service to others is our gift back to God.

Tuesday - Law of Karma, related to the root chakra "All is One" Galatians 6:8 - Cause and effect is a universal law.

Wednesday - Law of Least Effort, related to the sacral chakra, "Honor One Another" Proverbs 3:5-6 - Practicing karma yoga where you are doing actions for actions sake, not to "achieve" anything. Bring your focus to the task at hand.

Thursday - Law of Intention and Desire, related to the naval chakra, "Honor One-Self" Matthew 11:29 - Focus on humility and grace and to follow Christ's example of love.

Friday - Law of Detachment, related to the throat chakra, "Surrender Personal Will to Divine Will" Proverbs 27:1 - Let go of all that no longer serves you, making room in your heart for Jesus.

Saturday - Law of Dharma, related to the third eye chakra, "Seek Only The Truth" Romans 8:28, John 13:15, James 1:27 - Knowing that your purpose is to serve and bring glory to God.


And so it goes...Each day I base my entire thought processes for the day on whatever the law is that relates. This adds so much intention and focus on staying present in the moment and doing things intentionally with passion. It has been a great blessing to me personally, so I do encourage you to give it a try as well. While this may seem like a lot, after you create a habit of it, it really is very quick and easy. I spend about 10 minutes each morning setting my intention and doing my journal writing while I have a cup of tea and prepare for the day, so it really isn't that complicated.


"Let whatever you chose to do today involve some act of kindness and compassion." - Namaste

No comments: